What Is Vision?
VISION is one of the most diluted words in the business/strategic planning conversation.
For example, we have a BIG WHY (Purpose):
To make small/medium businesses
the best places to work in America
Some organizations call this a MISSION STATEMENT. We refer to this statement frequently as our aspirational vision.
Whatever you call your one-sentence-focus-statement, it should answer the question ‘Why does our business exist?’
Vision vs Purpose
VISION is different from PURPOSE. Vision answers a short series of questions:
- Where are we going?
- How will we get there?
- What will it feel like when we arrive?
- How will we know we are there?
Vision Engages Teams
Humans are storytellers. Our brains naturally search for the stories that help us make sense of the world around us. We imagine ourselves in the work environment as being motivated by very tangible and tactical objectives. However, neurology and psychology overwhelmingly show that we are emotional and irrational beings whose best engagement happens when we belong to teams and see ourselves as key contributors in accomplishing the VISION.
So, SMB owners, if you want your team to be highly engaged at work, learn how to tell great stories. Learn how to communicate VISION.
Build your Vision
Creating a vision that inspires requires focus and effort. If you want your SMB to capture the full potential of the 2nd half of 2021, follow these simple steps to create your vision.
- Imagine it is January 1, 2022. What has to have happened the last 7 months for this to be one of your best years ever?
- Write down the tangible goals (revenue, clients, employees, etc.). This is the easy part.
- Write down the intangibles. How will it look and feel to be part of this journey?
- Brainstorm 12-20 bullet statements.
- Write a 3-5 paragraph story.
Getting the ‘sucky’ first draft done is the hardest part, revisions and improvements are easier from there. Business owners, the bigger your team gets, the more important it is for you to create a clear, compelling vision and communicate it creatively, passionately, and repetitively. It is your job. Do your job!
You can do it. We can help.
Let the combined experience of our pool of experts and client-base go to work for you. Here are some resources:
- Download our vision planning worksheet – it helps with the hardest part: the first draft.
- Send us your completed first draft for a free 1hr consultation.